Precautionary Measures To Aid With Fire Damage Restoration Services
We have seen all over the news this year how prevalent wildfires are and how much damage they can cause. While very scary, wildfires are not the only source of fire damage and restoration costs to our homes. In fact, the most common source of fire damage to homes in Eau Claire actually comes from inside our homes themselves – in the kitchen. Kitchen fires are the cause of over half of house fires that occur annually, and at TRAC Solutions we have seen and restored some of the worst. That is why we are sharing with you today some ways you can protect your home from kitchen fires. This will be your first guide until the fire damage restoration service team gets to your home.
Fire Damage Restoration Services In Eau Claire
Keep a fire extinguisher on hand in your home. You should store the extinguisher near the kitchen in a cool place that is easily accessible. Having an extinguisher on hand is not enough though, you need to know how to work it in case a fire does break out. The easiest way to remember how to work a fire extinguisher is to use the acronym PASS for:
Pull the pin
Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze the trigger
Sweep from side to side
Never leave cooking food or an appliance that is turned on unattended. Being careless and forgetful in the kitchen is the leading cause of fire damage outbreaks, so be present when cooking. If an appliance is on and hot, be aware of it and do not leave the area until it has been turned off. If any heat source is left unchecked, it can spark fires, and fires in the kitchen spread very quickly. This will also cause major restoration and service costs.
Keep your oven, microwave, stove top, and other appliances clean. Build up from burnt or spilled food is the perfect kindling for a fire. Because high heats are used in these appliances, any excess grime, crumbs, or residues increase the risk of fire. If something does catch fire inside your oven or microwave, keep these appliances shut. Oxygen is a key component for a fire to burn, so if you cut off that supply the fire will not be able to grow or spread and will eventually burn out. If things are spilled on your stovetop and begin smoking, turn off the heat source right away. A clean kitchen is less prone to fires, so take the time to keep your appliances clean.
Use extra caution when cooking with grease. Grease fires are very dangerous and can quickly escalate. If a grease fire does break out in your kitchen, do not attempt to extinguish it with water. Water and grease do not mix and using water on a grease fire will only make things worse. Instead, reach for a lid to cover the fire with and extinguish the flames. Baking soda and flour are also great sides for putting out a grease fire. The most important thing with grease fires though is to keep yourself safe. Popping and spreading grease causes serious burns, so if the fire is not responding to your efforts to extinguish it, get out of the area as quickly as possible and call emergency response for help.
Remembering to be extra cautious in the kitchen, keeping your kitchen clean, and never leaving cooking food or hot appliances alone will help reduce the risk of a kitchen fire affecting your home. However, if a fire does break out, remember to call for help. After emergency response services have put out the flames, TRAC Solutions will be there to handle all your fire damage restoration service needs.
TRAC Solutions is a locally-owned Chippewa Valley company with more than 25 years of experience in Western Wisconsin. We are a full service general contractor specializing in property restoration and disaster cleanup, along with carpet and air duct cleaning.